Eco and Borges
From Umberto Eco Wiki
Eco has a key essay in On Literature that is his response to the many papers, such as those linked below, that seek to explicate Borges's influence on his works.
- The character Jorge of Burgos in Name of the Rose suggests Borges. Eco discusses this connection in Postscript to the Name of the Rose.
- Borges' 1941 short story, "The Library of Babel," is about "a universe, which others call the Library", which has resonances in the library in Name of the Rose.
- Both write extensively about Kabbala (and way before Madonna made it cool).
- Borges' 1943 short story, "The Secret Miracle"
- Eco: "Though so different in style, two writers have offered us an image for the next millennium: Joyce and Borges. The first designed with words what the second designed with ideas: the original, the one and only World Wide Web. The Real Thing. The rest will remain simply virtual." Borges, Collected Fictions, cover blurb.
- Eco: "library plus blind man can only equal Borges." Postscript to The Name of the Rose.
- Erik Ketzan - Borges and the Name of the Rose
- Deborah Parker - The Literature of Appropriation: Eco's Use of Borges in "Il nome della rosa" (JSTOR)
- Jorge J.E. Gracia (Editor) - Literary Philosophers: Borges, Calvino, Eco - 2002 book
- The Modern Word - Borges Influence on Eco
Kategorie: Name der Rose Kategorie:Name der Rose